Soccer at SST
Congratulations Canada Women's Soccer - Olympic Gold! - Tokyo 2020
Soccer is a game requiring highly tuned skills of speed, quickness, agility, power and change of direction. To make soccer more difficult all these factors are played through a fatigued state at some point in a match!
SST utilizes proven training methods for our soccer players speed and agility training, here are just a few examples of areas we cover to enhance out athletes training:
- Strength and strength endurance training
- Speed and agility training
- Flexibility/mobility, warming up and cooling down
- Testing soccer-specific fitness
- Nutrition for soccer
- Off-season, pre-season and in-season program design
Soccer is a fast past game and having the speed to keep up is vital to staying in the game weather you are playing house league or rep. Practicing accelerating and firing the muscles helps to condition the neuro-muscular system to improve the firing patterns of fast twitch muscle fibers. Soccer is a game requiring highly tuned skills of speed, quickness, agility, power and change of direction. To make soccer more difficult all these factors are played through a fatigued state at some point in a match!
The training for Soccer athletes becomes increasingly more complex as the athlete continues to develop his/her skills in the sport. When considering the young athlete or the beginning player, speed and speed-endurance are often the first components that need to be worked on.
Some more of the mechanics of speed that an athlete must develop in order to optimize Soccer playing ability include:
- Linear Speed - the average straight-ahead speed sprint is 10 -12 yards.
- Lateral Change of Direction - players must be able to move quickly in any direction throughout a game. The key element is to be able to maintain high speed through all these changes of direction.
- Avoidance - players must be able to start and stop quickly to avoid the opponent without losing any momentum!
In order to help our athletes acquire these attributes, SST has developed:
SOCCER 6-STEP PROGRAM FOR DEVELOPING SPEED.