Fresh Summer Hummus
- 2 cups drained well-cooked or canned chickpeas liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup tahini sesame paste, optional, with some of its oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus oil for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic peeled, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin or paprika or to taste, plus a sprinkling for garnish
- Juice of 1 lemon plus more as needed
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
Put everything except the parsley in a food processor and begin to process; add the chickpea liquid or water as needed to allow the machine to produce a smooth puree.
Taste and adjust the seasoning (I often find I like to add much more lemon juice). Serve, drizzled with the olive oil and sprinkled with a bit more cumin or paprika and some parsley.