Jamie Oliver Chicken Thighs/Legs with Sweet Tomato and Basil
- 12 chicken thighs or 8 chicken legs with thigh attached
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 big bunch fresh basil leaves picked stalks finely chopped (can use fresh rosemary instead)
- 3 – 4 handfuls cherry/grape tomatoes halved or plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 whole bulb garlic broken into cloves – no need to peel
- 1 fresh red chili finely chopped, or a big pinch of dried chili flakes
- Olive oil
- Optional items to increase carbohydrates:
- One 14.5-ounce/410 g can cannellini beans drained and rinsed (optional)
- 2 handfuls new potatoes scrubbed (optional)
Heat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Season chicken pieces all over with salt and pepper and put them into a snug fitting pan in one layer, skin side up. Chuck in your tomatoes. Scatter the garlic cloves into the pan with the chopped or dried chili and drizzle or brush over a little olive oil. Push some of the tomatoes underneath the chicken. Place in the oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes turning any of the exposed tomatoes halfway through.
Now mix in all the basil leaves and stalks and cook for another 45 minutes until the chicken skin is crisp and the meat is falling off the bone. If after an hour or so the skin isn’t crisping to your liking, you can turn up the heat or just blastbrown as you like. Just don't let the sauce simmer too vigorously or the meat might toughen up.
If you fancy, you can add some drained cannellini beans or some sliced new potatoes to the pan along with the chicken. Or you can serve the chicken with some simple mashed potato. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins before serving.
Serve with favorite vegetables and or green salad.
Save leftovers for pasta tomorrow night!
Planned Overs: To make leftover chicken into a
delish pasta dish simply remove the chicken
meat from the bone, shred it and warm it along
with the leftover tomato and chicken juices and
toss into a bowl of your favourite freshly cooked
pasta. Garnish with fresh grated parmesan or
feta, fresh grated lemon peel, fresh basil or all
of these tasty treats. Serve with steamed
broccoli and or a green salad.