Grilled Salmon and Avocado Pitas
- 1 tbsp wasabi paste
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- ¼ cup mayonnaise or similar
- ½ lb. salmon or arctic char fillet
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 whole wheat pita rounds
- ½ ripe avocado diced
- 2 cup loosely packed arugula or any salad greens
- 1 medium tomato seeded and diced
Bowl: In a small bowl, combine the wasabi paste, soy sauce, vinegar, and mayonnaise. Set aside.
Preparing Salmon: Brush salmon with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Grill (either oiled charcoal or gas grill, 450° to 550°). Lay salmon on an; close lid on gas grill.
Grill 6 to 8 minutes depending on thickness, turning over once, until just barely done (cut to test; flesh will be a darker shade of pink in the center). Remove from grill and quickly toast pita rounds on grill, about 2 minutes, turning once.
Cut or flake salmon into 1-in. cubes.
Cut pita rounds in half and spread wasabi mayonnaise on insides. Fill each pita half with salmon, avocado, arugula (or salad greens) and tomatoes, dividing equally.
Servings: 4 sandwich
Serving Size: 1/2 pita with
Total Calories 371
Carbohydrate 26 g
Total Fat 23 g
Protein 18 g
Fiber 6 g
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 25
Tips and Hints:
• Make sure the grill is very hit before placing salmon on. You should
only be able to hold a hand 5” above for 2-4 seconds.
• To ensure salmon is cooked, test the salmon with a fork after the
correct amount of time. The grilled salmon is cooked when it
flakes easily with a fork. It will also look opaque and feel slightly